Thursday, July 18, 2002

You know, one of the oddest things that I have come to realize about myself over the years is that, despite a reasonable amount of leadership qualities, I am not the kind of person who would ever desire to be a leader. I have plenty of qualities which make me able to succeed in such a venue, minus desire of course, not to mention at least enough qualitiesto enable me my independence under any normal circumstances, but the job that I often think I would be best suited for is something akin to a family butler in the old school of thought. I find a certain pride in service well done, and under the right circumstances bearing no lack of dignity. Something I think is lost in our culture of "If you're doing things for someone else, you're little better than a slave" mentality. Don't get me wrong, there are virtually no examples of service in the modern world where this is not the case. This, I think, is the result, rather than the cause, of the birth of this paradigm. Were there any jobs in the modern world where this sort of thing were a necessity, and its beng done well truly appreciated, it would be a job I could do, and do well. Sadly, things have reached such an advanced state of degeneration these days that one can no longer countenance trust of one's employees or one's employers to the degree where such a position could be relevant in the modern world. I have no idea what corporate attaches do, but I imagine it to be something similar, only in shark-infested waters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home