Sunday, August 17, 2008

Seems like a lot of people I know have a pet social issue lately that they spend thought on. Getting back in touch with an old friend has reminded me of one that has been on my mind more often of late. Put simply, feminism, but I've found that a lot of people tend to have...interesting...definitions for that.

More to the point, I'm aware of the sociological, anthropological, and a small portion of the philosophical opinions on the matter, but I've never really given as much thought to really working much out in theological grounds. I mean, I don't feel that my beliefs and interpretations are in any way incompatible with my perspective and support of basic human rights, but I have never really bothered to really work out the stepwise logic. I have rarely had a conversation with someone who held an opposing viewpoint that defended it without fairly quickly retreating into entrenched sexism. Rarely is not never, mind you - I have had some short conversations that I found myself hard-pressed to really find my footing in, but usually poorly timed and not allowing for proper introspection within the short timeframe that my attention span could last.

I run into situations from time to time that remind me that our society still often does very unfair things to women, without realizing it usually. The saddest part of all is that I meet a great many women, victims of these injustices themselves, who don't even see it themselves. "I guess, I never really thought about it," "That's just how it is," "It's not a big deal, I'm tough enough to handle that nonsense," and so on. It's enough to incite mild fury, and I should not let it blind me to an entirely different difference of opinion that sometimes bears superficial similarity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home