Tuesday, September 21, 2004

One thing I'll say about Austin is that I have a much more enjoyable home life here. Well, since things have settled down, at least. I don't really feel the desire to get out of town and go home as much. It's interesting. One thing that is beginning to happen as a result of living here, though, is an increased awareness of being single. I'm welcoming the return, because I feel like for once I'm in a place where I may be able to do something about it, but I am bothered by it. Between strange dreams of ex-girlfriends and mysterious "wives", and the neverending stream of people on a college campus that are attractive, I am unable to ignore it like I once was. Of course most of the girls on campus are a bit on the young side for my liking, but "taco del ojo" as the Mexicans say. (Eye candy, for you english speakers out there)

I am really looking forward to working. I need private time, in a way. Not that I don't get private time at home, far from it. I have no complaints about the way the living situation is working out at all. I've just found that I don't spend enough time driving. I do all of my best thinking when I'm driving, usually to and from work. Now, I don't have this as much, and it kind of sucks. I need to start doing some creative pursuit, I think. This provides the same sense of distracted concentration that I get when driving, so I think it would have the same effect on my thinking. When I get my check, I also need to start hanging out somewhere occasionally. Maybe one of the coffee shops, Spider House or that one down on S Congress. I don't know, really, but I need to get out more - this much is certain.

All in all, though, this is a good thing. When I lived in Dallas, I had a pathological reclusiveness that kept me at home most of the time. I didn't even like to leave to go to the store, or do rudimentary things outside of the apartment. The fact that I am excited by this vibrant new city outside my door, and wanting to go and be a part of it, is really relieving. I am not a social recluse, I merely hate Dallas.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandy said...

Hate Dallas? Really? :)

9/24/2004 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home