Monday, March 01, 2004

I've been wondering a lot lately why it pisses me off when people get confused and think of me as being gay. I mean, I'm obviously not a homophobe, so why should it bother me? There are the obvious, of course, the fact that a lot of girls don't even consider you because they think you are unavailable, and the just plain misinformation, which always bothers me, but I think it's something a little deeper than that. I believe it has to do with the fact that your sexual orientation has to do with a role that you play. Like it or lump it, there is a role there, and your job is to play it on your terms, and try to do it well. I think that being confused with another sexuality bothers me because it tells me I'm doing this job so badly, that people are confusing me with an entirely different role altogether. I think that's rather insulting. I recognize that this is due largely to the fact that I use a creative interpretation of said role that I play, and this causes problems which are to be expected, but it's still a little insulting. Nothing like doing something that is a big part of who you are and having someone tell you you're doing it wrong. Basically, I think that is the crux of the issue: someone is telling you that you're being you incorrectly, to a certain degree. Now that's just damned well annoying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home