Wednesday, December 19, 2001

Here is an online diary. They're a bit like weblogs, but a bit not like them as well. I rather prefer them to weblogs, in truth. I have a series of them that I found at LiveJournal, and I will go ahead and link them all. I grabbed a whole bunch of different ones, trying to get a representative cross section of the online journaling community...and the online community in general. I have noticed a disturbing preoccupation with human misery in my reading, though...I really wonder why that is. It doesn't seem like a healthy thing. I don't particularly feel drawn to inviting suffering into my life, although no doubt in many subconcious and passive-agressive ways I undoubtedly invite it through personal sabotage, but there is something compelling there. You learn more about the true nature of people if you observe them under duress, I think...plus there's the advantage that we don't really have to maintain our internal civilized behavior when faced with an altered viewpoint - "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man," Hunter S. Thompson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home